Made with Moxie: Poppy Tunic

June 12, 2014

Poppy Tunic

Poppy Tunic sewing pattern || This is awesome on it's own for the summer and I'm going to layer it come fall.

I've been told I was born in the wrong decade. I absolutely adore vintage clothing and household items. When my Nana Jane passed away and all the objects of value had been taken or auctioned my siblings and I were allowed to go into her home and take what we'd like as a momento. As I wandered her bedroom I encountered drawers of dress scarves with bold patterns. Jewelry boxes filled with bakelite bangles in every color imaginable. Perfectly stacked boxes of beaded evening handbags.

"I'm going to need some trash bags" I told my father.

Poppy Tunic sewing pattern || I'm a little obsesses with vintage.

This is one of the magazines I found in her house that day, along with many others including Esquire's Party Book and a first edition Betty Crocker Cookbook which is my most treasured vintage cookbook (and I use it all the time). I love early American sports wear. I love that there was no fear of wearing bright colors and huge bold patterns. It makes my heart sing.

Poppy Tunic sewing pattern || This is awesome on it's own for the summer and I'm going to layer it come fall.

Naturally, when I saw this fabric at Joanns it had to come home with me. My Nana had a set of dishes with poppies on them in these very colors that I was very fond of as a child and it turns out had an even better story to go with them. Sadly, I neglected to take them after she passed. Never the less, this Alexander Henry Keely fabric was not neglected.

Poppy Tunic sewing pattern || This is awesome on it's own for the summer and I'm going to layer it come fall.

Seemed like an appropriate fabric for my Poppy Tunic. Despite most everyone else making their Poppy Tunics in a solid with a patterned panel, I went big. Pattern on pattern on pattern. The panel is (I believe) a Denise Schmidt piece I had and the striped bias tape a gift as part of a trade I did with Ms. Cassie. (I forget what I swapped you for, Cass. Do I owe you something? heh, heh...) As you can see, I'm quite in love with my Poppy Tunic. Dress, beach cover up, house dress, jeans tunic. This one will be worn to shreads for certain.

I decided to add an elastic gather under the bust to accentuate my hourglass shape. Also of note, I measured a size XL in this pattern, but cut out the XXL. I made the Waterfall Blouse pattern by Make It Perfect last week and used the XL but it turned out too snug in my upperbust/underarm. No worries. My mother has a fabulous Waterfall Blouse now in block printed Indian fabric. Luckily I had enough to make a second in an XXL for myself. Fast forward to my cutting out the Poppy Tunic and I went XXL again and I think next time I will make the XL. Long story short: the Poppy is roomier than the Waterfall. However, I do love the pattern. Both of them, really.

Poppy Tunic sewing pattern || This is awesome on it's own for the summer and I'm going to layer it come fall.

My ever faithful assistant begged me to take her picture too. It delights her to make faces and tell me when she's ready for me to take her picture. Which is what she thinks I'm doing when she takes my pictures. Okay, that does pretty much sum it up.

Poppy Tunic sewing pattern || Jane must pose for the camera, too.

The Poppy Tunic is part of Parcel #3 and while you can always buy it through Make It Perfect, buying the Parcel gets you four, if not five more patterns and lets you support children's education too. It's feel good pattern buying and I'm your enabler. Treat yo'self!

Buy Pattern Parcel #3