Made with Moxie: Pattern Review: Imaginegnats' Roly-poly Pinafore

May 13, 2013

Pattern Review: Imaginegnats' Roly-poly Pinafore

Made with Moxie:Roly-Poly Pinafore pattern review. Reversible pinafore on a hanger.


I had the pleasure of testing and reviewing the Roly-Poly Pinafore sewing pattern by imageine gnats. While I should disclose that Rachael did give this pattern to me for free, the opinions of the pattern here are only my own and 100% truth. Y'all couldn't pay me to lie for you, so don't even try, okay?

Now, on to this beautiful pinafore pattern!

Made with Moxie:Roly-Poly Pinafore pattern review. Denise Schmidt orange fabric side.


As you can see the Roly-Poly Pinafore is not only stinking cute, but reversible, too! It's sizes run from 6 months on up to a girl's size 10, and the pattern is PDF which I love because it means not waiting for patterns to come through snail mail. (Have I mentioned my lack of patience?)

Made with Moxie:Roly-Poly Pinafore pattern review. Pink polka dot fabric side.


I made extra appliqued dots for each side of my Roly-Poly with my scraps. Fuse some Pellon Wonder Under to your scraps and zigzag away! Just make sure to applique before you sew your interior and exterior pieces together.

Made with Moxie:Roly-Poly Pinafore pattern review. Smiling girl sitting in the woods wearing Roly-Poly Pinafore.


The pattern is super easy to piece together, so there will be no cursing with your tape and paper scissors. I made a size 4 for Jane, which is a size larger than the pattern measurements suggested, but I often go up a size a little bit when I sew her things so she can get more wear out of it. The Roly-Poly Pinafore come with an option for side seam pockets that also reverse, but I chose not to put them. You can make this pinafore in a size 4 and smaller with only 3/4 yard of fabric for each side.

I also used snaps on the shoulder straps instead of buttons a) out of laziness, and b) because Jane is in that "let me do it myself" stage of life and it is easier for her to do snaps herself. Overall, it was less insanity for me. Win-win.

Made with Moxie:Roly-Poly Pinafore pattern review. Girl wearing Roly-Poly Pinafore walking in the woods.


As you can see, it fits beautifully, and Jane will be able to wear it for months to come. This is an added bonus because Jane *loves* her Roly-Poly Pinafore. Seriously. I love that is it reversible, too, because this mom may just flip it to the other side for her to wear two days in a row. I've only had this sewn together for a week and Jane has already worn it four days. I am going to have to make a few more for her otherwise this one is going to die from all the love it gets.

Made with Moxie:Roly-Poly Pinafore pattern review. Girl wearing Roly-Poly Pinafore smiling in the woods.


Overall, the Roly-Poly Pinafore by imagine gnats is a killer pattern. From start to finish (with applique) I had this Roly-Poly done within an hour.



Roly-Poly Pinafore pattern by imagine gnats: Easy to put together PDF pattern pieces
Well written, clear instructions
Adorable design that fits well
Kiddo approved comfort
Easy to sew
Customizable
Easy like Sunday Morning

Made with Moxie:Roly-Poly Pinafore pattern review. Smiling girl laying in hammock with arms behind her head.


And wait! There's more! The lovely Rachael has offered a free copy of the Roly-Poly Pinafore to one of my readers. Sweet, I know! Make sure to leave a comment here and tell me who you would make a Roly-Poly Pinafore for. I'll (randomly) pick a winner later this week! You can check out the imagine gnats flickR group for other Roly-Poly Pinafore customizations!